Friday 21 November 2008

Winter Carp


Many years ago, Carp fishing was only considered worth while in summer. The species was known as a warm weather fish. But over the past 20 years or so, more anglers have fished for, and caught carp in winter.


As I mentioned in an earlier blog, the river Charente holds a fair number of Carp, and they are little fished for in the middle reaches of the river. Yesterday I had a walk with my 6# fly rod, and a small box of nymphs. The idea to cast to any visible fish I could see.


Now at this time of year, I know I'm on a hiding to nothing on most days, but during the warmest part of the day Carp do move, and feed!


One of my favourite places to fish is not surprisingly, close to my home and just a 10 minute drive. The river here is modest, and wadable, but during the winter with low light values, it is better for fish spotting from the bank.

Here you can get a height advantage, and see "into" the river, and still retain cover from the trees, and shrubs that cover most of the the river in this area.


I didn't see any Carp, but did find a few large Chub (around 4lb) under a large, part sunken tree, on the river bend were a small side stream joins the main river.


I crept into position, behind a small tree for cover and waited until the bigger fish came into view.

In my full neoprene waders and waterproof jacket, I was warm, and comfortable, soaking up a few last rays of winter sunshine.


I knew I would only have one chance to place the fly, as the place was a nightmare tangle of branches and sticks. Once the big fish came into view, I did my best catapult cast, and allowed the nymph (weighted cream caddis) to drop to the fishes level.


It took it instantly, I struck ,and the fish turned over powerfully. Then simply the fly come shooting back towards me, and the fish was gone?


I glanced at my watch, and realised I had been standing, half squatting for over an hour, waiting for the one chance.

The coffee in the flask back at the car, was still warm, but with the sun now behind the clouds it felt rather cold.


No I didn't catch any fish, but I had seen a flock of Long Tail Tits, and a Kingfisher, after two weeks inside with flu, the trip was most welcome!


No comments:

Post a Comment