Sunday 1 February 2009

My Top Wet Flies.


If I only had a choice of 4 flies for the coming season, these would be my wet fly choice! But of cause like all fly fishers, I have a box full!!
Fished upstream or upstream and across, slim wet flies or spiders as they are called are deadly. During an early hatch when trout are taking the emerging nymph, or when fish are not confident in taking the fully emerged insect, spiders are lethal.
If you get those times when a fish just moves once, and your unsure of the taken insect, casting a spider over the rise, can result in a confident take.
So what do spiders represent? Well almost any mayfly, caddis or terrestrial can be represented, by the sparse dressing of spiders.
I can recommend the DVD by Oliver Edwards under his Essential Skills Titles called 'Wet Fly Fishing On Rivers'. Were he covers all the flies, methods, and tackle for this interesting and lost art of wet fly fishing.


No comments:

Post a Comment