Thursday 4 December 2008

December and Winter Rain




I had planned to go fishing today, but when I awoke this morning, it was raining really hard. This is water the river's really need. Vital winter rain, the most important rain of the year.

This water will soak into the land, before old dry tree roots can soak it all up. Its water that will seep back into the rivers in several months time. On the Charente it can flood over the banks, if we continue get such heavy amounts, but it makes little difference to the our chalk stream.

In this part of France, it seems the winter's are getting milder, but wetter. During the summer both the Charente and Touvre (and many smaller rivers in the area) suffer badly with abstraction for farmers crops. So this turn around in winter weather is really welcome in my view, plus my wood pile does not go down as quick, and the central heating has a rest, at least for some of the winter!

I did go fishing earlier in the week, the day was bright but cold with a sharp morning frost. I started high sticking on a slightly flooded river, and hooked a nice barbel. It took the bead headed nymph with urgency, and gave a good account of itself, before I released it back into a coloured Charente.

No comments:

Post a Comment