Wednesday 17 December 2008

Fly fishing friends.

I'm a member of a very small fly fishing club, in my local town. We are few members, and fewer 'keen' members. The club meets during the winter months for fly tying, and a spring barbecue, just before the season starts. The members are all very welcoming, and understanding of my very poor French.

One of the members is exceptional at stalking the wild trout on the chalk stream. He has helped me very much over the past few seasons with understanding the very difficult fishing we find on the river. The techniques needed on the river are very different from most trout rivers.

First the river is exceptionally weedy, and by mid July true dry fly fishing is near impossible!

The trout sit under the weed all day completely camouflaged, and so hidden from the angler,
even when they move out to feed, the slots are often so small, presenting a fly of any kind is extremely difficult. A weighted nymph is the only trusted method, but seeing the fish take in such weeded conditions is really difficult!

Mathieu my friend has such good eyesight, and is such a good stalker, he can spot just a tiny part of a trout in these difficult conditions, and present a nymph direct to a fish, with a high degree of success. Many times when we fish together he will spot a fish, and point it out to me, "saying look its under the weed there". I will strain my eyes, pull my hat lower, readjust my sun glasses, and still fail to see the fish.

Over the past few seasons I have got better at spotting, its just practice, like casting, but Mathieu's ability is natural. A passionate fisherman, nature lover, and some time hunter, his gifts are very special indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment