Friday 2 January 2009

Fly tying a winter's past time.

Whilst I tie flies the whole year through, most of my flies get tied during the winter months. Not only is fly tying an enjoyable pastime, its also a necessity!
After speaking to many fly fishers it seems they fall into two categories. Those who tie the flies they really need, and those who tie all the flies they could possibly need. I fall into the latter group of tiers.
In truth I could fish an entire season with just one fly box, and for the past few seasons, I have tried to get down to just that. However there are always spill overs, flies you could need if there were a specific hatch.
Take for example the Pale Morning Dun. Last season in early May, for just a few days these beautiful mayflies came off in abundance, and the fish were on them. I did have specific copies, and am glad I did, but had I have had just the one box!
I have managed to get my everyday fishing down to two boxes. One is a large C&F waterproof. In this are all my weighted, and unweighted nymphs. Mostly shrimp and small bead head mayfly and caddis patterns. The other box is an eight compartment clear plastic danica box. This takes all my emergers, dries and ant's, and a few wets.
In my fishing bag, are several other boxes that will cover almost everything

No comments:

Post a Comment