Sunday 25 January 2009

Review Of The Clermont Ferrand Fishing Fare.




The long trip involved to reach Clermont Ferrand meant an early morning wake up call at 4.30am. We were catching the bus at Limoges, and meeting many friends, who were joining us for the journey and day out.
The snow that had disappeared, a week ago in our area, was still thick on the ground as we neared Clermont. A clear statement that this area suffers badly during the winter months!

After a short wait in the long queue outside, we were finally in the warmth of the Fishing show stadium, a large indoor area some two football pitches in size.

At the last show I attended (in Paris) the show was dominated by spinning tackle, and this show was much the same.With mini pools full of water, that the staff of companies like Rapalla and Smith, show off the action of there amazing lures.
Plastic baits seem to have taken over in popularity, from the traditional wood baits. Maybe its partly the cost, but the action on some of the soft plastics are just so realistic, to be believed.

The Fly Fishing stalls were headed up by the French brand JMC. I personally don't like the clothing range from this company, as its expensive, and not that well made. However some of the rods in the upper range, are very nice indeed, and match anything the high end American companies can produce! I tried several 5# both in 9' and 10' and found several I could fish with without reservation.

There was also a few small French rod makers that also took my eye, and if I were to move away from a lifetime of loyalty to Sage, its here I would spend my money. I tried a wonderful 9' 5# for under 400 euro, that cast a dream, with a super fast tip recovery (my preferred action) but was soft enough, to use light tippets on.

A large area was put aside for lunch time eating (the French national past time) but many like myself took a picnic.

The French fishing magazine Peche Mouche had a stand, but I managed not to succumb to a subscription, despite the gorgeous girls on the stand doing there best to persuade me. I still cannot read French good enough to warrent a monthly magazine!

The other stands in abundance were fishing holiday comapnies. They had video evidence of all the fish you could catch if only you signed up with them? I feel there is still so much fishing in France to discover, without having to travel by air!

All in all the show was well worth the long day out. It was full of people from early morning to when left at 5pm. So the stall holders must have been pleased with the turnout.

We caught the bus back home tired, but having had a great day out in good company. The only fly in the ointment was a parking ticket on my car, on return to it at 8pm?

No comments:

Post a Comment